SURVIVAL GUIDE: HOW TO SURVIVE UNI. PART THREE.

2 August 2015

Hey guys,

So the blogs been a bit quiet recently - I've had so much going on at home and there are a tonne of birthdays right now so there's been a fair bit of celebrating. Anyhooo, this post today completes the trilogy of the university survival guide! This final post will discuss how to tackle first year and university as a whole.



So you're all probably aware of this but first year doesn't actually count towards your overall grade - unless in special circumstances and your FY grades do need to be taken into consideration to help you actually get a degree. Very rare but I've heard that it happens. Now a lot of people will take the attitude of being slack, not really trying and being a wee bit lazy. This is probably the worst attitude to have! Your course tutors will know and it will not leave them with a great impression of you - it's the same with your course mates. If you walk in with the 'I clearly don't give a hoot what you're saying' it will not go down well. It could affect you in the later stages of your degree. Also - it's your £9,000 a year at the end of it all. Why waste it? Make the most out of your education! 

First year is pretty much just to ease you in for the real deal of second and third year. Still work hard in first year but make sure you also enjoy yourself! First year is when you'll be able to go out the most, I honestly have no idea how I managed to go out nearly every week in second year... But somehow I did. I think the only reason why I managed is because I always made sure I finished my work as going out was my treat for myself. Work hard, play hard. 

Budget yourself. I can't stress that enough. Work out how much you have to live on per semester after you have paid your accommodation etc. I recommend that you bulk buy when you food shop - so do like a massive order and get delivery from somewhere like Asda or Tesco, it'll cost a lot but it'll save you so much more in the long run because the only thing you'll really need to get more of is fresh food, milk, bread etc. Not only this, but you have an overdraft. You can use the overdraft but don't be dependant on it. At the end of the day, it's not your money - it's the banks money. Then when you're working over the summer all that money you're earning isn't actually for you, it's for the repayment of your overdraft, then you'll be back to square one. I've been there and done that, I've dipped in and out my overdraft and it's not a nice feeling. You can easily survive on £20 a week if you bulk buy your food and alcohol. I know plenty of people who have done it on £20 a week or even less! 

So my main tips for first year - budget, have fun, work hard, make an impression because university is the real deal (plus it is a huge preparation for the real world)


So that's my survival guide for university done and dusted! I hope you've enjoyed that little trio. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask - leave a comment below, DM or email me. I'd be happy to help. Make sure you follow me on Twitter, Instagram and Bloglovin' - my links are on the right hand side. Give this post a share and a like, I'd really appreciate it! :D Thanks for reading, I'll write again soon,

Katie x 


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Katie Middleton. Design by Fearne.