High Street vs High End: Lipsticks

4 June 2016


I think it's about time I go back to makeup don't you? This post has been planned since my last high street vs high end battle for eyeshadow - which you can read here: High Street vs High End: Eyeshadow palettes. But I've just not had the chance to do it unfortunately.





Lipstick is a tough one for me. It is a product that I will always happily pay more for because I like to know that the lipstick I am buying/wearing will actually last on my lips through drink, food and general wear. I HATE having to reapply lipstick throughout the day and I avoid as much as possible. One or two applications is best for me (anymore and I literally take it all off because I get aggravated with it) For the sake of this post, I will discuss Kylie Cosmetics in a 'high end' term because let's face it - they're so damn impossible to get, everyone's lusting over her lip cosmetic range and it can be kinda pricey.

First up are the high street lipstick products, featuring Makeup Revolution, Max Factor and L'oreal. I would've had Rimmel London in here as well but I took these photos when I went home for the weekend!

So these are obviously amazing for the price but do they actually do the job? Price, wearability, application. They're the three things I look mainly for in a lipstick. Makeup Revolution Salvation Lip Lacquers are amazing for their price. I was really surprised at their price for just £3 you can't go wrong. Now, I did a review recently on the lip lacquers - which you can read here! As you will see in the review I was pretty chuffed with the lacquers. My only qualm with them at the time was the length of drying time that it took (ugh) but since I've used the Makeup Revolution lacquers more and I've learnt that the formula is watery, I have to build it up more each time I use them (I'm not too sure why) I guess I shouldn't really complain because at £3 it's so accessible and amazing for anyone on a budget! For a more in depth review make sure you check out the link provided further up ^^^



 Max Factor Elixir Lipsticks are beautifully packaged and well presented to lipstick addicts (like myself) and I'm instantly sold. I did a pretty in depth review about this lipstick too which you can check out here: Max Factor Elixir.   Again, love them. Although they're very shimmery and I think that's something that sways me a bit because I worry about my lipstick being too out there (even though it's not) and the only downside is - it works ok with some foods but drinks are a huge no go. Basically, drink through a straw if you intend on wearing the Elixir lipstick range. I'm not sure on price as I said in my blog review of the range as they were Christmas presents but you can find them in Superdrug and Boots I'm sure!



Lastly for the High Street range is the L'OREAL Paris Eva's Nude lipstick. These were massively hyped up so naturally I went to the closest Boots store and bought one!  It's a beautiful colour (it's come out orangey on the photo for some reason oops) it's a gorgeous light nude pink. The downside - it's very creamy and feels super sticky on the lips. That's something that aggravates the hell out of me because my lips just feel so enclosed/trapped, it's such a bizarre feeling but I actually panic when my lips feel like that from a lipstick. Don't get me wrong, I do think this is a good lipstick but for me as I stated above, I just can't get on with it which is such a shame.



Now onto the High End lip products! Had I taken the photos more recently, my brand new Urban Decay Revolution lipsticks would also be in this post for judgement but unfortunately I took the pictures a while ago and edited them all already (plus I'm being dead lazy, oopsie) Anywhoo...

Kylie Cosmetics. Wow. Seriously. I get that Kylie Jenner's lip range is super hyped at the moment and people are having bad experiences with delivery and product (I hope they get it sorted) I've not had a single problem with them at all! I've found their delivery great - minus the lack of security on the box which I believe they've resolved. Her range is simply incredible. I've only purchased 4 shades so far: Candy K, Dolce K, Posie K and 22. I haven't gone and bought every single shade of her range for the sake of it like some people have been according to the hashtag! (who don't even like Kylie Jenner/family by the way so don't complain about the family and then buy their products?!) You can check out my most recent review here: Dolce K thoughts.  I think her lip range is the best lip product I've ever owned. They're bloody industrial and do not come off the lips without putting up a fight! It smells so nice and it goes onto your lips with such ease - a little goes a long way. The drying time is also crazy, 20 seconds is the longest I've ever had to wait for a Kylie Cosmetics to dry! You also get a lip liner with it too so the money isn't actually all that bad! I can't fault it.


Ahh, MAC. I honestly used to adore MAC cosmetics, until I learnt that they aren't cruelty free (naughty buggers) and since then I have slightly gone off them sadly because I LOVED their lipsticks and I mean, LOVED them. I would never leave the house without wearing a MAC lipstick. I know I shouldn't support MAC but I do still wear the lipstick from time to time and some of their other products (I spent a fortune in there just before I found out about the testing and I can't bring myself to throw out nearly £250 worth of MAC) I do enjoy the colours, the pigmentation, the application - they glide on your lips soooo smoothly, they smell yummy. They're also pretty good for lasting on your lips too. Drinks can sometimes be an issue depending on the lipstick shade but a straw solves that I guess!




All in all, I think the winner of the lipstick battle between High Street and High End is of course - High End and that's largely because of the Kylie Cosmetics. There would've also been an Urban Decay addition which would've also boosted up the High End massively too. I think with some products people are always willing to pay more and in this instance - I am always willing to spend that little bit extra on lipstick.


Have you ever tried these products? What did you think? Are you high street or high end? Let me know in the comments below!


Thanks for reading as always, I hope you enjoyed it and I've realised after reading back that I went into waaaaaaay too much detail but oh well *sassy emoji* Be sure to follow me across all my social media pages to keep up to date with the blog and with my daily life. Or if you want to see what I've been pinning on Pinterest or be buddies on Instagram - check out the links below! Thank you again,

Twitter          -           Facebook           -          Instagram         -            Pinterest         -            Bloglovin'


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Katie Middleton. Design by Fearne.