SURVIVAL GUIDE: UNIVERSITY PREPARATION PART ONE

24 July 2015

Hey guys,

so it's that time of year where people start getting their bits and bobs sorted out for university. So I decided to do a three part series about 'surviving' at university. This post today is all about preparing yourself for uni. So I recommend you start buying bits and pieces now and do little spouts rather than one massive shop - it can really add up in price and remember you have to pay a deposit on your accommodation, live for a week WITHOUT student loans and do freshers. So you really need to plan ahead in terms of preparation.

The build up to university can be so nerve wracking for some - I was so nervous I made Kayne stay with me for the first couple nights and even then I still found it a struggle. I was really homesick in the first year and I'd go home every weekend - until I realised I was missing out bits at the weekend and I eventually got accustomed to living away from home. It can be a really scary and daunting process gaining your independence.

If you haven't already, then join a meet and greet page on Facebook - I know that Lincoln have one so I imagine other universities do too. That way you can see who might be your potential course mates and who you could live with! 


So here's a little list I've put together of the things I'd recommend you get, of course you don't have to get everything I've put down but it may help. I've also provided some links below so check them out:

Bedroom/desk area:- 

  • Duvet and pillows. It's very rare that universities or accommodation will provide this for you. I've always purchased the ASDA home basic range duvet and pillows for university, literally the comfiest and warmest I've ever had. They're a bargain too. 

 >> ASDA HOME BASIC DUVET <<
  • Duvet & pillow covers. 
  • Cushions. Just to make it a bit more cosey
  • Teddies (if you like)
  • Mattress topper (waterproof). It might be worth searching for a memory foam topper aswell, just for a bit more comfort, some of the mattresses are horrific. 
  • Blanket. Unless you're cool with freezing over the winter?
  • Fairy lights (optional)
  • Desk lamp. Not all accommodations provide this for you.
  • Folders
  • Accessories. These are an absolute must for me. >> B&M Home accessories <<
  • Bin
  • Over door hanger
  • Coat hangers!
  • TV (optional) 
  • Console (optional)
  • Whiteboard/chalkboard
You will soon discover that stores like B&M will become your BEST friend. Going to B&M probably saved me and my mum a good whack and my room looked super cute! Also if you can get your hands on some "no damage to wall" applicators then go for it - it'll win you your deposit back and leave you with a mess free wall!

Kitchen:- 

So firstly, it might be best to hold off on the appliances like toasters and kettles until you find out who your flatmates are so you can all chip in and get one!

  • Cutlery
  • Kitchen utensils e.g. collinder, pizza slicer, knives.
  • Pans 
  • Tea towels
  • Oven mits
  • Dinnerware - plates, bowls, mugs and glasses. Tesco do some really cute plates, I love their Shakespeare quote plates! >> Tesco plates <<
Bathroom:- 

You'll probably be in ensuite accommodation, if you've applied for it of course. Halls don't really provide anything at all for bathrooms.

  • Towels
  • Hand towels
  • Loo roll holder
  • Bathroom bin
  • Cleaning equipment (which you can get by nipping to Wilkos when you're all settled in)
  • Tooth brush holder
  • Hand wash
So make sure you check out all the relevant Facebook pages to your university and your possible accommodation - make some friends and start chatting with your future friends. This will really make it a lot easier when it comes to moving in day. I also recommend that you make your rooms as 'you' as possible, it will bring a lot of comfort. I found that the 'homier' my room became with things from home e.g. blankets, teddies and photographs - the easier it became to be on my own.

For some reason no photos want to upload to this blog post but I really want to get it up so I'm just going to post it and hope for the best. The next post in this series will be my survival guide to freshers week! That post will be up in a couple of days to make sure you keep your eyes peeled for that. I hope you enjoyed this read and that it helps some of you newcomers to university - good luck for your results in August and I hope you get the university and accommodation you want! :) Make sure you share this post for people who it may find it of us. Follow me on Twitter, Instagram and Bloglovin! I hope you all enjoyed this read, I'll post again asap,

Katie x 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Katie Middleton. Design by Fearne.